Home > Knowledge > Content
Trifloxystrobin – toxicity, side effects, diseases and environmental impacts
Aug 16, 2018

Trifloxystrobin is classified as a highly toxic fungicide that is primarily used in mitigating fungal growth in a wide array of crops. A pesticide fact sheet released by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency explains that the fungicide works by mitigating spore germination and mycelial growth in a plethora of fungal pathogens within the Ascomycete, Deuteromycete, Basidiomycete and Oomycete classes. According to the data sheet, the fungicide is highly effective against grape and cucurbit powdery mildew, peanut leaf spot, apple scab and brown patch of turfgrasses.

Trifloxystrobin exposure is notoriously associated with the onset of reproductive and developmental toxicity, neurotoxicity and acute toxicity. Likewise, the chemical is known to trigger respiratory tract irritation, altered lung functions and pneumoconiosis. The toxic fungicide is also shown to cause severe skin irritation characterized by inflammation, wounds and abrasions. Chronic eye irritation may also occur following a direct contact.

An entry posted on the Fluoride Action Network website shows that high level exposure to the hazardous fungicide is known to negatively impact various digestive organs such as the liver, pancreas and spleen. Likewise, the article stresses that trifloxystrobin may lead to body weight decline and bone problems. The toxic fungicide is also found to affect kidney function and compromise the health of mesenteric lymph nodes, pituitary glands and the thymus.

Aside from being a health risk, the Pesticide Action Network North America also classifies the dangerous chemical as a water pollutant, which greatly impacts the aquatic ecosystem and its animals.

The toxic fungicide is particularly detrimental to the respiratory system’s overall health. The hazardous chemical is also known to negatively impact both eye and skin health. Trifloxystrobin exposure may affect various digestive organs too. Likewise, the poisonous fungicide is found to compromise the health of the kidneys, the endocrine glands, the bones and the lymph nodes. The dangerous chemical is also associated with the onset of reproductive health issues.